Vision Statement: Our Vision is to create and foster original avant-garde dance and performance works in the Alberta arts scene, and to increase our profile nationally and internationally.
MZD develops creative collaborations with individuals and organizations within the city, nationally and internationally. The company is devoted to the development, artistic viability, and audience awareness of live movement-based performance in Edmonton. To this end, MZD provides mentorship, training, and peer support to a network of artists.
MZD consistently produces a full and varied season of unique contemporary performance activity, featuring work from artists of all disciplines. Our season, membership, and fiscal year run from September 1st to August 31st.
- Annual Main Stage Performances have allowed Mile Zero Dance to challenge national assumptions about dance companies in smaller centers. This work is complemented by our Site Specific Performances, using a vast range of non-traditional spaces for events.
- The Salon Series brings together interdisciplinary artists and audiences in an intimate salon-style performance environment, promoting cross-medium discussion, networking, and in many cases, provides a forum for future partnership opportunities.
- The Artist-in-Residence School Programs bring school tours and workshops to youth in and around Edmonton, usually for one or two weeks, but also for short workshops.
- Workshops with master artists are offered when possible and are attended by a broad cross-section of students and artists. Workshops are occasionally also offered to high school dance programs.
- Artist in Residence This program was designed to offer an artist the opportunity to pursue their craft freely. By providing the rehearsal space, support and tools necessary to assist in choreographic research, we hope to foster creativity and networking.
MZD receives Alberta Lottery funds and Operating Grants from the Edmonton Arts Council and the Alberta Foundation for the Arts. Project funding has been awarded from the following organizations: Alberta Foundation for the Arts, City of Edmonton, Edmonton Arts Council, Winspear Fund, Alberta Dance Alliance, Lee Fund, Edmonton Community Foundation, Canada Council for the Arts, Alberta Creative Development Initiative, Alberta Lotteries, and Telus. Our goal is to build a sustainable financial base that will support our work and allow us to increase touring in future years.
MZD is a member of the CANDANCE Network, AFA Artist Education Roster, the Alberta Dance Alliance, the Edmonton Arts Council, the Canadian Alliance of Dance Artists and the Performing Arts Coalition of Edmonton.