Call for Submissions: Remix Exchange (Deadline: April 14, 2017)
Attention choreographers from St-John’s, Montreal and Edmonton!
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS : REMIX EXCHANGE
DEADLINE: APRIL 14th, 2017
REMIX EXCHANGE : Re-interpreting, remixing or covering are rhetorical conventions in music and theatre where the same raw material can be radically re-shaped by a new director, musician or conductor. What happens if we apply the same principle to dance?
Co-produced by Studio 303 (Montreal), NDW (St-John’s) and Mile Zero Dance (Edmonton), in partnership with the CanDance network, REMIX Exchange fosters cross-regional artistic collaboration, experimentation and community building.
This project seeks choreographers from each region interested in remixing and/or in having their short works or excerpts remixed by another artist.
Overview of Project Structure:
- Each city/presenter will choose two local choreographers who:
- Have a pre-existing work or excerpt (15 minutes max) with 1-3 dancers.
- Are willing to have their work remixed by an out of town choreographer
- Whose dancers are available to work on the tour dates.
- Each city will also choose one Remixer who will travel to the other two cities to remix a different local work during the course of a one-week residency.
Each showing will include two original works followed by their new remixed versions.
September 18th-24th 2017 Residency and showings in Montreal, QC
November 12th-19th 2017 Residency and showings in St-John’s, NL
October 9th-15th 2017 Residency and showings in Edmonton, AB
- Original works and their remixes should last 10-15 minutes each. The public showings will be informal and low-tech, and will be followed by a discussion with the public.
- The choreographers and up to 3 dancers per project will be paid an hourly wage for rehearsals, as well as a performance honorarium.
- There is a budget for travel, lodging and per diem for the Remixers.